Friday, November 18, 2011

Fridays and Field trips

Today was extremely intense of 28 students in my class about 12 were in attendance. Immediately when they walked in they asked if they had to do work today, since everyone was gone and asked if we could just chill. I already knew attendance would be low since most of the ninth graders were on a field trip but I had expected around 17 at least. I informed them that the work would be light but the word "work" was all they heard. It took them a while to settle down as most were disinterested with anything I had to say. I told them we where going to do a brief activity and that we would listen to some music and perhaps watch a movie. The activity I had planned for was supposed to last the whole period but as I felt out their vibes I knew that my plans were not going to work for this friday. I intended on having a writing circle where they would do a free-write, share and then we would go over the five paragraph essay structure. But we only made it to the free write. After their "do now" I had them form a small circle, passed out the writing prompt and put some music on. Although they complained and said that it was corny initially I found that all of them wrote something and even shared what they wrote. After this I had them put the desk back in order and put on the movie gladiator. If I could describe my kids in few words today I would have to say: rowdy, resistant and reluctant. The lesson I learned for today is that there are times when you have to put your plans aside and find the compromise. Fridays and Field trips do not seem to be the best mix.  

No comments:

Post a Comment