Friday, April 13, 2012

My Reflections on Supporting Students with Special Needs

Initially I was frustrated with the common response of “it depends” to most of all my questions related to special needs, but now I understand. Like most things in education, there is no “one size fits all” to supporting students with special needs. The category of “Special needs” is a broad and dynamic arena that is even more layered by student’s age, socioeconomic status, culture and general persona. Over the course of the year I have come to learn that labels like “ES” “MR” or “SLD” are not telling of who a child is.  When one takes a view of a child that is solely based on the label next to their name, they are taking a deficit view and surely missing key aspects.  
Although social stigmas might suggest other wise, I believe all of my students are endowed with unique gifts. Moreover, as there teacher it is my role to figure out how to draw upon those gifts. In short in moving forward in my practice I will approach each of my students with two big questions: what are your dreams and gifts? And how can I support and build upon them?

No comments:

Post a Comment