Saturday, October 1, 2011

my teaching debut


This week I began lead teaching. As I reflect on my experience, over the three days that I lead, one word comes to mind….WOW. Who knew that teaching was so multilayered. When I presented my curriculum to my classroom mentor she knew immediately that it would not fit into one day as she had instructed me to come up with a lesson for a single class. What was supposed to be a case story on Sumer, a society in ancient Mesopotamia turned into a three day lesson. For my lesson I would have my students becomes experts on an aspect of Sumerian society then present their knowledge to the rest of the class. This lesson was their first time working in groups and sitting in groups so initially they were very resistant. Although I had pre-assigned their groups they complained about who they were working with, where they were working and what they working on. Nonetheless, with the guidance and recommendations of my classroom mentor and penn mentor the next two days progressed quite nicely. In thinking about my first days leading teaching the following thoughts come to mind.
·      Be intentional
·      Be reflective each day and make changes for the next day
·      Be sensitive to student needs but still have high expectations
·      Scaffolding is important, make sure your students have a solid foundation
At the end of my week lead teaching I received a pleasant surprise. Apparently one of my students nominated me for teacher of the monthJ Since I am not a full time teacher my name was not on the nomination list dispersed to the students only my classroom mentor’s…but my student choose to add a slash mark and wrote  “Ms. Fuller” then circled it as a nomination. The academy leader brought the nomination slip to me as he thought I should have it and boy was he right. My rough tiring week was illuminated. When I went home I posted it on my wall to serve as a reminder that even when it seems that no one’s listening, learning or cares someone notices your efforts. 

No comments:

Post a Comment